June 19, 2011

Miso and flathead meal


I am not sure why I have waited so long to blog this meal? At the time I remember looking in the fridge to find not much in sight. The fish shop is closer than the butcher so that was pretty much how I started preparing dinner....with a quick dash down the street!
It must of been a Wednesday night because I was trying to get dinner organised before heading off to yoga. I remember this because yoga starts a bit later (7pm) and I am always wondering what is better- eat before I go or when I come back?

Whenever I take the boys along to buy fish they always want calamari or flathead. I didn't have time to cook calamari so flathead won but you could use salmon, snapper...any white fish really.

Of course when I got back home, I didn't have any potatoes for chips and the rice bucket was empty (I would also like to add that it must of been a busy day for me to be so flakey- that's my story and I'm sticking to it!). Digging a bit further in my cupboards I found a packet of dried udon noodles I'd bought at least a year ago. I'm not sure why I have waited so long to use them, but I have to say they were perfect for my 20 minute meal.

Flying by the seat of my pants I filed through my cupboards a little more to find my emergency lunch supply also known as miso soup sachets, something I can't live without. If I'm having a big day at work and forget to eat or just haven't the time, I dump a sachet of miso paste into a mug, pour in boiling water and in seconds I have something hitting my stomach before I feel sick.

Having said that, I decided to make a meal size miso and udon noodle dinner with pan seared flat head.
Running out of time for  myself to eat before yoga I was really looking forward to this meal.
Once I had it sorted in my mind, it was a very quick meal to throw together.
With veggies cut and water boiling, I quickly blanched the vegetables off (carrots, peas, beans, shredded spinach) then using the same boiling water, cooked the noodles.

With the vegetables and noodles all ready to go, I divided them between 4 bowls and then started cooking the fish. Because I had to leave just as Nic came through the door I put the kettle on made up some miso broth and then all Nic had to do was finish cooking the flathead and ladle on the broth (which also reheats the noodles and veggies). Fresh chillies were added to adult bowls while the boys went a-la-natural.
 This was a great late night meal, not only is it fast to put together but it also healthy and delicious!

1 comment:

Susie said...

That sounds delicious and easy. I also love those instant miso soups, what a great idea to add the udon, soak up that great flavor!