November 26, 2009

Remembering Thanksgiving

It is Thanksgiving today and I have no turkey to show for it which is really bad form on my part. I had all intentions of cooking turkey but when I rocked up to the store I was bitterly disappointed with the range on offer. I had memories of my heritage bird of last year. Vince and I took a ride down the south of Chicago to purchase our birds from our Italian 'sausage' butcher. The 45 minute drive was totally worth it, our birds were succulent, mouth watering and full of flavour.
 The turkey legs on offer at the store here looked like they had a bit of freezer burn and could of easily been leftovers from the previous year.
Australians don't eat turkey with as much passion and commitment like Americans do. To tell you the truth, I never really ate it before living in Chicago, it was always the white meat you might buy if the chicken was all gone, but more that likely you would of bought a packet of beef sausages and called it a day.
After 6 years of cooking a whole turkey I have come to love and appreciate the art of this big boned bird and it's part of American culture my family and I will always hold dear. My copy of this months Saveur magazine arrived yesterday with a golden brown bird sitting on the front cover again reminding me of the flavours we were missing out on, Nic even tried to read it before I turned the first dozen pages (totally uncool, I must be the first to devour all information! :)
Well I will dwell no longer, I hope you are all enjoying the madness of Thanksgiving, enjoying having family home for 24 hours and then feasting on the biggest meal eva! we sure as hell miss the festivities...I think I can hear Nic calling as the dal is ready to eat.

2 comments:

Mal Streeter said...

Happy Thanksgiving Bakers,bring on the new computer!

Camilla Baker said...

I couldn't agree with you more! It could be next week if all goes well, fingers crossed