August 2, 2010

Nic's barra and quinoa dinner

Apparently Nic's fans are missing him and apparently I have been pretending to cook meals when in fact Nic is the one cooking (he tells me this but I cannot remember the meal in question?). So today's blog is NOT about me but my other half.
I have to admit I know I am one lucky lady who has a husband that cooks,  enjoys cooking and will knock up a family meal when he takes one look at me after a long and tiring day in the kitchen knowing I couldn't think of anything worse then turning on the gas burner at home!
If was Friday afternoon, I had a late delivery and he texted me with the best text ever "I bought fish...I'll cook tonight"
YES!!
Friday night is the end of our shopping week, so it can be a bit hit and miss in the pantry. We were out of potatoes, rice and couscous so not off to a very good start.
Anyways after reaching into the depths of the cupboards, Nic pulls out a bag of red quinoa and asks
"what's this?"
Oh yes, I said....use that as I have been wanting to try them for ages.

Nic not being very trusting of me with new ingredients (I don't know why?) decides to confer with his all time kitchen diva- Stephanie Alexander.
"Well Stephanie doesn't write about it so it can't be that good" was his comment.
(I am still wondering if he wants to live a long and healthy life or just here for a good time not a long time?)

In the end I left Nic to his own devices and sat on the couch reading the boys a story while he whipped up this delicious meal.
Being the first time we have eaten quinoa we were very happy with the end result. The nutty texture complimented the barrumundi in thyme and lemon butter sauce beautifully. The boys weren't over joyed with our new find but I think it has something to do with them overhearing me tell Nic how good quinoa is for you!
I'll be coming back to it again for sure and using it even when we do gather the rest of the staples back in the pantry.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

Good job hubs! Sounds like you two make a great team! I have never cooked quinoa before I will have to give it a try.

TKW said...

I really want to love quinoa but I just don't. Makes me annoyed. The fish sounds delicious--especially since it was cooked by someone else!