September 19, 2010

Berry and lemon pound cake



I know it has been an age since I last blogged but to tell you the truth, I haven't really felt like the last dozen meals we've eaten to be blog worthy. I'm in a rut you see. I seem to be on auto pilot making the 'no brainer' family meals and not being to impressed with the out come.

I mean they taste fine, it's just that I think I can do better, what I really need to do is get over this hump and start making interesting and delicious family meals again!

What better way to start my new food week with a delicious family favourite- the pound cake. 
It has been the first Sunday in a very long time that all four of us have been at home together.....for the whole day none the less. A game of Monopoly was on the cards. But before we started playing I decided to bake a cake so there was something to look forward to when the stakes were high and we started bulldozing one another. On this occasion we were all crushed by Nic. Max was the first to bail out while Alex kept on making money hand over fist while running around the lounge room pretending to be  Han Solo in his spare time and screaming at us to 'pay up' when we landed on his property (if he can only keep this skill when he is out in the real world!). 
I managed to hold on for a few more rounds until hotels went up on every corner......he got me bad. We only play Monopoly once in a blue moon and it always ends with one of us destroying the other three, to say we are a little competitive would be putting it mildly! The cake went down a treat and prevented tears of displeasure when knocked off the board.

Anyway here is to a new week with yummy meals and the Monopoly board packed away for another day.


Berry and lemon pound cake
175 grams (6oz) unsalted butter
1 cup castor sugar
3 eggs
1teaspoon vanilla essence
zest of one lemon
2 cups plain flour (all purpose) 
2 teaspoons baking powder 
2 tablespoon milk
1 cup mixed berries (fresh or frozen)

Preheat oven to 180 degree (350)
Cream butter and sugar then add eggs one at a time, beating well between each egg.
Add vanilla essence and lemon zest.
Fold through sifted flour and baking powder, followed by the milk.
Once just combined, place into a cake tin (approx 6 inch tin) and pour on mixed berries, slightly pushing into batter.
Pop in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
Cool and serve.




1 comment:

Bryan said...

I know what you mean with a food rut, it happens to me all the time.

Sounds like a great Sunday with your family! The cake worth the wait it looks wonderful!