July 26, 2011

Chicken wings


 Another night was going to pass by with me thinking our evening meal was yet again not yummy enough to blog. Maybe that is the wrong thing to say because I knew it was going to be yummy......perhaps I should say, I thought chicken wings weren't glamorous enough to blog?

Glamorous or not, chicken wings would have to be one of my (and my families) favourite bone cracking, skin sucking sweet meats we love to eat. It doesn't matter what you put on them, they always seem to be finger lickin' good. A good grilling is how I prefer my wings. Sure you can pop them in the oven, however, you don't get those cindering looking wing tips that I love to crunch on. Nor do you get the blistering skin when you roast them in the oven.
Nope, the less fuss the better and that is why I quickly marinated our wings while the tile guy was hear finally fixing our bathroom floor and just before racing out to swim lessons.

A good hour marinated is something we should all have in the back or our minds and why should I spoil the simplicity of this meal with extravagant side dishes? Why indeed! this is why I always have a packet of dried udon noodles in the cupboard so I can whip up a quick veggie and noodle stir fry giving the  wings a lovely colourful bed to sit on.


With tile man gone, swimming lesson over and cheering from the boys when they saw the marinating wings, all we needed was Nic to walk through the door for dinner (...almost sounds like a family from the 50's-sadly you'll never catch me in 4 inch heels swanning around the kitchen in an evening dress with full makeup on!)

So dear readers, tonight's meal of marinated chicken wings and noodles took all of twenty minutes to throw together and was an absolute family pleaser...I was happy cracking my bones, Max loves eating the skin while Alex let's us know he would never eat the skin but loves the flesh (his words!). As for Nic, he was just happy to have a yummy dinner waiting for him (this pushes me into that 1950's era again- or maybe I have been watching to much MAD MEN on DVD?)


Point is, do yourself a favour crack open a beer, grill some wings for the family and give yourself a bit of a break, you won't be disappointed....actually Sara if your reading, I'm not sure you are ready for wings yet because they are a bit tricky with a knife and fork x

Super dooper quick wings marinade
2 large garlic cloves, minced on microplane
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
3-4 roots and stems of coriander (cilantro), chopped finely

Mix together, pour over chicken wings and leave for 1 hour to 24 hours before grilling

3 comments:

Susie said...

I knew we were a lot alike. They are just the kind of glamorous dinner my family loves.

Bryan said...

Aww you are such a good wifey having dinner ready for your hubby when he got home ;-)

I seriously love chicken wings done on the grill, there is just no better way to do them. Like you said the charred tips and the crispy skin just can't be beat.

Janette said...

Thanks Mil for another great reminder of the maybe not so glamourous chicken wing BUT just how delicious they are....off to buy some today! :-)