March 27, 2012

Delicious Corn Fritters


One of the most versatile fritters on earth! Like lamingtons and roast chicken; there is more than one way to whip up a batch.....not to mention in a matter of minutes. I'm not to sure why I threw this combo together, I think I was low on time and energy and the buttermilk was the first thing I saw in the fridge if the truth be told!

One of the best secret high fives I gave myself was serving these to the kids and watching them eat every last bite. They didn't even notice the mushrooms until I told them of my trickery after Alex swallowed his last mouthful. Max shrugged his shoulders and told me he actually likes mushrooms, while Alex sat in disbelief and then tried to tell me he didn't really like them as much as he thought he did- Ha!

Whatever the case, I loved how these fritters puffed up when cooked and tasted light and fluffy- perfect for a canape perhaps? or remove the mushrooms and make a corn and crab fritter with lashings of lemon aioli on the side........or add grated zucchini instead of bacon for a delicious veggie option- the list is endless. Whatever you decide to do with them, you won't be disappointed at the taste and speed when whipping up a batch of your own, even for the fussiest eater.

Yummy Corn Fritters  
1 cup self raising flour
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped spring onions
1/2 cup chopped Swiss brown mushrooms (or any other variety)
5 rashers of bacon, diced
1 1/2 cups corn kernels (fresh is great and gives the fritters a sweet crunch)
salt and pepper to taste

In a large mixing bowl add the above ingredients in order of list. Be generous with your seasoning.
Stir to combine and then fold so you thoroughly coat the kernels in the batter.

Once mixed, heat a frying pan on medium heat.
Add 1-2 tablespoons of oil and drop in 2 heaped tablespoon size fritter mix (about 4 in a large frying pan).
Cook on both sides until golden brown. Remove from frying pan and place on kitchen paper until needed.
Serve with a delicious seasonal salad, as a base for smoked salmon canapes, smothered in butter or a la natural.

Recipe makes 12 large fritters

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nicely put together post with plenty of superb points. I must say, extremely well done and all the very best moving forward
2004 Isuzu Ascender AC Compressor

Camilla Baker said...

Hi Sheena- Thank you, it is lovely of you to comment.
Cheers,
Camilla

Susie said...

I haven't had a corn fritter in years, but I do love them. They would make a great late summer accompaniment, I am so excited for the Farmer's Market to open again! Did you dunk these? I do love a spicy sauce...we call it comeback sauce!

Mal Streeter said...

When we were young my mother would cut up leftover cold roast beef and make fritters, we thought it was a treat then. I made corn basil and bacon canapes at work yesterday. Well done yours look delicious.