October 2, 2008

Melting Moments



I could be talking about events that 'melt my heart' or something wonderful the boys had done but that just wouldn't be right. The 'melting moments' I am talking about are the delicious, decadent and down right mouthwatering biscuits (or cookies) we have in Australia. I am sure many of you have heard of them or at least tasted them and will agree with me that they are divine. You bite into one and the biscuit (cookie) melts on your tongue- that is then followed by the smooth butter lemon combo you have stuffed in the center. 
I only make these once in a blue moon as they get gobbled up in a matter of hours in our house. The kids love to help stuff them of course and then get covered in lemon butter ( I still don't understand how that happens- all they have to do is put the tops on?)
You could play around with the flavors in the center doing an orange cream or chocolate but I have never bothered- lemon and butter (again I use kerrygold salted apposed to unsalted for added flavor) are the creme of the crop for me.
These are so delectable you could put them out after dinner and everyone would be thinking them a treat- kids and adults alike!

Melting Moments
2 Sticks butter- softened
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup powdered sugar- sift
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour- sift
1/2 cup corn starch-sift

Preheat your oven to 325- degree
Place butter, vanilla & powdered sugar into a medium bowl and beat until light in color (approx 3 minutes).
Add sifted flour and corn starch to butter mixture in two turns. Beat with wooden spoon or use on 'slow' in mixer until it forms a soft/solid ball. Dip your hand in flour to coat and begin to roll dough into small balls the size of a heaped teaspoon. You should be able to get 24 in one batch.
When you have all the balls rolled- place on lightly greased cookie sheet and press each ball with a fork making an indent and flattening slightly.
Bake for approx 15-20 minutes or until cookies are pale in color.
Remove and let cool for a few minutes before moving to wire rack.
When cold begin to fill with lemon cream and top with cookie.

Butter cream
3 oz kerrygold salted butter- softened
2/3 cups powdered sugar- sifted
rind of one lemon
juice of half a lemon

Combine the above ingredients, beat until a smooth spreadable mixture forms.
Place heaped cream in the center of cookie and 'jam' together




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful photograph of your melting moments! They remind me of the many hundreds I use to make, they also remind me to make some more!