October 16, 2008

Semolina gnocchi




I can't believe it has taken me sooooo long to make semolina gnocchi for the family!
We have a version at work for Wednesday's 'dinner plate'. I love eating the left overs but I totally forgot about a recipe I had hidden away in one of my hand written cook books from 6-7 years ago- along with squid ink dressing which I am not yet convinced the boys will like (funnily enough!).
 Nic and I are BIG fans of gnocchi but not all the work involved on a week night. This semolina recipe is a little gem- a little gem I had lost! You are going to hate me but I only have the measurements in grams not cup measurements so I do apologise. However if you have a set of scales in the kitchen you are balancing fruit on, clear them off and give this a go. Seriously I made it in ten minutes, set it in the fridge for ten (while I heated up the duck) and then warmed it in the oven for 5 minutes. 

I forgot how soft and smooth the texture was, yet a lovely rich cheese flavor. Max was very dubious of course (he thought it was potato) I swear I must of done a number on him with the mashed baby food because anything with similar texture, he is in his own personal hell if I want him to eat it- HOWEVER, I decided to go the 'cheesy' route telling him about all the yummy parmesan I put in it- it worked! For Max it helped having the duck ragu to blend with the other textures and flavors, however Alex was a fan from the beginning, it was almost like candy for him. The duck ragu wasn't as popular a little to rich for Alex's pallet- he did pick out and eat all the carrot and broccoli so I am fine with that.
I am coming back to this one for sure. The fact that it was so fast, flavorful and divine makes it a perfect starch for the cold winter months ahead what ever topping I put with it, be it duck ragu, vegetable stew or braised chicken.

Semolina Gnocchi

125 grams semolina flour
625 ml milk
2 eggs
100 grams parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 stick (75g) butter, diced

Heat milk in saucepan until just boiling.
Whisk in semolina flour until it thickens, 2-3 minutes
Once thick like mash potato, cut the heat and add remaining ingredients beating to combine.
Place mix into a 4 x 10 inch dish with 1 inch side and let cool in the fridge until set.
Once set, cut out into small circles (if you have ring cutters) or cubes, place on a tray lined with parchment and bake in a 400 oven until warm (about 5-10 minutes)
Remove and serve with desired sauce.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finally - I got around to trying this tonight. And you are right - this is a killer recipe! Loved it. Although right now I am puffed up like a little (big) semolina gnocchi myself after eating so many of them. Phil called them heavenly little pillows..he got some funny looks from Thomas but hey!!