April 9, 2009

Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross Buns on Foodista


HAPPY EASTER!
With Good Friday right around the corner I was looking forward to trying out my hot cross bun recipe I devised last year. One of the things I really missed while living in the States was the fact I couldn't pop down to the local supermarket and grab a packet of hot cross buns.
Yes Americans celebrate Easter and have a fabulous array of chocolates (mind you I could never get use to Hershies no matter how hard I tried), but they lacked in the sweet bun section. I could of gone to Whole Foods and paid a small fortune for some average buns or I could make my own. After looking through recipe books and on line I was getting the same message, make the dough a day in advance. I was in the mood to bake then and there, who would know if I was going to feel like it the next day.
I decided to combine a few methods, hurry up the proving process and see what happens. I figured the worse that could happen was they would be terrible, I wouldn't be able to give them away and the boys and I would be stuck eating crappy buns for the next week.
I was ecstatic to find at the end of my playing around that in fact the buns were delicious and were probably the best buns I had made. So with this memory at hand yesterday I began looking for the piece paper I wrote the recipe down on. At this point I really needed to give myself a good kick up the bum for only partly writing out the recipe. For some reason I seem to think I'll remember ALL my recipes for the next time and never write them down in a legible hand- you'd think I'd learn after being at this for over a decade!
Anyway this batch came out pretty darn well except my oven is a piece of c..... and the bottoms were a little too brown for me to show them off, so looks like the boys and I are taking our hot cross buns on our camping trip- YIPPEE!!

HAPPY EASTER YA'LL

Camilla's Easter buns
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons dried yeast (a lot I know)
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup butter, melted
11/2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
4 eggs
5 cups plain flour (all purpose)
1 cup raisins
1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped

Method
Warm milk and sprinkle with yeast, use 1 teaspoon on your sugar and add to milk, stir then rest for five minutes.

In a large bowl add remaining sugar, salt, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and eggs.
Stir with a wooden spoon to mix thoroughly.
Pour in milk mixture (making sure it is foamy) and gradually add flour.
When you have formed a dough ball, sprinkle bench with a little flour and knead for 5 minutes.
Sprinkle clean bowl with flour and place the dough in and cover. Place in a warm spot and rest for one hour (or until it doubles in size).
Remove plastic, punch dough, add dried fruit and knead again for 5-8 minutes.
Cut dough in half and then half again and then each piece of dough into six, making a total of 24 small pieces.
Roll each piece into a ball shape, place on a large oven tray lined with a baking mat, allowing 1-cm between each ball for a bit of rising action.
When all the ball are on the tray, cover again an place back in warm area. Allow to double in size approx 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 200 degree
Before popping the tray into oven, make a cross on each ball with a sharp knife.
Cook for ten minutes the drop the temperature to 180 and cook for a further 10-15 minutes.
Remove from oven, Make your cross glaze (1 1/4 cups icing sugar mixed with 2 tablespoons milk, stir to combine well) and drizzle on the top of buns in a cross figure.
Just before you leave them alone, make a simple syrup of 2 tablespoons boiling water and 2 tablespoons of sugar, mix until dissolved then brush the tops of buns.
They should look like the once above.

Good Luck, they are well worth the effort.
Gradually add flour

3 comments:

Roisin said...

Girl you have arrived. I googled you from my laptop (work) and you were the number 3 result on GOOGLE!!! Wow - you are bigtime. dying to try these hot cross buns.....

Camilla Baker said...

You are awesome Roisin! I'm working hard :0)

alisa@foodista.com said...

They look delicious! Hope you wont mind but I'd love to direct Foodista readers to your site, just add this little widget here and you're all set to go :)Happy Easter!