July 21, 2010

Apple and rhubarb crumble


It's cold and rainy this side of the bridge.
 Rhubarb is looking young, tort and vibrant in Harris Farm (grocery store) so what is a girl to do but put two and two together and eat something totally divine and heart warming this winter. I topped our crumbles off with my all time favourite vanilla ice cream and then didn't hold back.

I love this recipe because you can whip it up on the fly. I don't pre cook my apples, I like the firm texture of the apple against the soft, tart/sweet rhubarb not to mention the way the crumble looks when you leave the apple skin on- rustic all the way!
You can make the crumble topping up before hand to cut down on the work load. It stores in the fridge for about 5 days in an air tight plastic bag.

Enjoy...I always do!

Apple and rhubarb crumble
crumble:
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/3 cup wholemeal flour
6 tablespoons room temp. butter cubes
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup almonds

Place the above ingredients into a food processor and blend for 60 seconds. When large chunks of the mix form, stop and remove to a bowl and leave in the fridge until needed.

1 bunch rhubarb- peeled and chopped into 5 cm pieces
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 lemon
50grams butter- cubed
4 green apples- thinly sliced and core removed
knob butter

Preheat oven to 180 degree.
In a medium bowl toss rhubarb, brown sugar and juice of half a lemon until combined.
Place on a baking tray with the cubed butter and pop in the oven for about 15-20 minutes (until rhubarb is soft but still whole).
Remove rhubarb from the oven, place into a large bowl with sliced apples and toss to combine.
Wipe out 6 crumble containers with extra butter before placing in mixture.
Divide mixture between containers, place a good handful of crumble topping on each crumble then place on a tray and place back in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top and bubbling sides.
Serve warm with ice cream, cream or both!


1 comment:

Bryan said...

I just love crumbles! This one sounds wonderful Camilla. I know I will be looking for rhubarb whenever I go to the store now.