January 30, 2012

Raspberry and honey muffins- lunchbox treats!




Today was the boys first day back at school and to my shock and horror they weren't giddy with delight at the prospect. About the only thing I saw a hint of a smile at was when they asked if they could make their own sandwiches!!
Sandwich fillings of the day were ham, seeded mustard and pickles....of course, why didn't I think of that?
Like all kids, mine are starving hungry when they arrive home, so I made a batch of muffins to stamp out the hunger pains. I'm on a bit of a health kick at the moment (due to excessive eating on holidays), so I used whole wheat flour and replaced the sugar with honey. Max thought they were yummy and gobbled down two, while Alex wasn't so impressed and wanted the sugar back in! (our compromise was cutting the muffin in half and lashing it with butter....I think I lost that battle).

They are so quick and easy to make and great for breakfast too!


Raspberry and honey muffins
2 cups whole wheat self raising flour
4 tablespoons honey ( or 2/3 cup sugar)
1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
125 grams melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup frozen raspberries

Preheat oven to 190 degrees and spray a 12 pce muffin tray with oil.
In a medium size bowl add the above ingredients in order from flour to raspberries.
Fold ingredients together until well combined -don't beat mixture.
Place in muffin tins then bake for 20 minutes, cool and dust with icing sugar.


No comments: