July 17, 2008

Leftovers


It is a hot and humid day in Chicago today. I have been running around like a crazed chicken, I'm hot, kids are hungry and I don't want to spend anymore than 20 minutes in the kitchen!

Leftovers in my house are usually eaten by Alex and I, however today if the other two resist they will be going hungry. We had some yummy soft polenta a couple of days ago, it was served with a spicy ginger tomato sauce and grilled fish- delish!
When ever I make polenta I always make extra for days such as today. We all LOVE polenta chips, so I thought I'd whip some up (within my 20 minute time frame) and serve it with the left over cold brats we had a few nights ago. Once I cracked open an icy cold beer, I tossed the sausage rounds in with chopped raw carrot, snow peas and green pepper sticks- as long as it is all raw the boys won't complain, and iceberg lettuce. Balsamic vinegar that has been swiftly shaken with a smashed piece of garlic clove, extra virgin olive oil and s&p is a wonderful dressing to compliment. There you have it- dinner on the table in 20 minutes. I didn't have to spend any longer in the hot kitchen than it took me to shallow fry the polenta chips in olive oil (lightly dusted with cornstarch) and throw the salad together. It was gobbled up with no complaints- except the usual picking out of the lettuce from Alex.
 

No comments: