August 17, 2008

Banana & Coconut muffins




Nic is having a 'boys day out' on a friend's boat today. They are heading down to Chicago to the Air and Water show- they will have a blast for sure. I felt like I needed to pack him off with a little something under his arm to snack on. I know Phil's wife will be making some fabulous sangos (sandwiches for those feeling confused) so I decided to go the muffin route. I feel I have done the cinnamon ones to death so looking around the kitchen I spot two very black bananas and decide on banana muffins with a pinch or two of coconut just for the fun of it.

 I feel very hard done by due to the fact I have never owned a food mixer. I refuse to buy a cheap hand held one because I am waiting for the mother of all mixers- the standing, kitchen aid mixer...I am still waiting but that is another story. Anyhow I want to make the muffins and I don't want to beat the butter and sugar by hand so I pull out my trusty and faithful Cuisinart food processor. Hands down it has to be one of the best gifts I have ever received. I use it to death and for everything. I know you shouldn't use it for cakes but when that is all you have, you make do. I have to say it makes wonderful banana muffins!
 There is a lot of stop and starting to 'cream' the butter and sugar but when that is all done and you have added the bananas- a few quick pulses to add everything else and there you have it, a great batter ready for the cake tin or muffin pan. As you can see from the photos, you really do end up with a light, fluffy muffin. Alex has been driving me bonkers all morning wanting to know when it is his turn to have a muffin. I am sure I did the same with my mum seeing as she first introduced me to this recipe (minus the coconut) when I was three so it is pay back time!
I finished them off with a quick lemon, icing sugar and butter glaze. I never measure this one out. I find a knob of butter, zest of half a lemon, add juice of half a lemon and then keep on adding icing sugar (sifted to reduce lumps) and stirring until thick enough to spread. It is a great quick alternative if you don't have any cream cheese. If you have any blackened bananas lying around, don't throw them out give this recipe a go and enjoy- with or without the coconut.

Banana and Coconut muffins
1 stick (125g) butter
1 cup sugar
3 black bananas- mashed
1/4 cup dessicated coconut
2 eggs
1&1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 heaped tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp milk

Preheat oven to 350 and spray tins/ muffin tray with cooking spray oil- set aside.
In a mixer or food processor (or by hand) cream your butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, mix until well combined then continue with remaining egg. Add mashed bananas and coconut (if using). Mix until well combined.
Add remaining ingredients and stir on LOW until combined (or a few short pulses in the food processor). Once all mixed, pour into muffin tins and bake for about 20 minutes.
Once baked, turn out onto a cooling rack. 
When cool add lemon glaze or your favorite cream cheese icing. 
This mix usually makes 16 muffins.

 

1 comment:

Roisin said...

Camilla, these are KNOCKOUT. There were three left after the boat, and the kids inhaled them for dessert. I coaxed a small bite from Una (who still had icing intact - she eats in uniform bites rather than icing first). They are so light and fluffy...can't wait to give them a run.