August 28, 2008

sangos, sandwiches, sarnies.....



What ever you call them- sandwiches have been my savior in parenting. They are quick, easy, filling and healthy.....Or not depending on what you desire. Take for example fairy bread. It was a fave when I was a kid growing up in Australia and it is now a favorite for my kids and their friends at any birthday party we throw. For those of you not in the know- Fairy bread is white sandwich bread topped with a layer of butter (or margarine) and then finished with a good shake or 8 of sprinkles (100's & 1000's). You can cut the crusts off or leave them on, depending on birthday boys/girls preference. They are bright, colorful and just a bit of fun.

Now back on track to our lunch today. I woke to a full schedule, I needed to do the grocery shopping (always takes longer when I have both boys), a 'play date' in the park with 'pack your own lunch', followed by work in the afternoon. Of course the only food in the house is dried pasta, bread crumbs, yogurt and a container of lima bean dip I made a few days ago- all food that needs a lot of help to taste yummy (except of course the dip), so there goes an end to the theory of making lunch before I leave. Anyhow we are only running 10 minutes behind time after the shop, and I bought a fresh out of the oven French stick (still warm) and some yummy sliced honey ham and porchetta from the deli. Top all of that with the lima bean dip, a bit of tomato, cucumber, cheddar cheese and lettuce and there you have it- lunch in 5 minutes and out the door in ten! 
Sometimes the simplest things in life are often the best. I still remember sitting at a park in Florence eating the tastiest mozzarella, tomato and basil sango I made that morning before Max and I set out for the day (Alex was only 10 weeks old), maybe it was then that Max truly started to enjoy fresh tomatoes? 

No comments: