February 28, 2011

After school snack


 When three o'clock rolls around, I am guaranteed the same question every day...

"Mum I'm hungry.....can I have something to eat?"

The boys are starving everyday when they arrive home and I've gotta tell you, I almost could give them a big bowl of pasta just to tied them over until dinner time, but I don't want to encourage this type of behaviour until they hit their teens at least!

Looking for a healthy, quick and filling after school snack can be a real chore at times and quite frankly I get a bit sick of raiding the cupboards looking for snacks that are met with 'Is there anything else, that won't fill me'. I can't get mad because I remember feeling exactly the same way as a kid.
 It was only when mum and dad moved to Tassie and opened up the restaurant that I stopped complaining about the lack of food after school ( I also WAS a teenager by then and was quite happy to get my own snack and clean up after myself....something Alex is still trying to achieve), but that's OK as I have found the perfect snack AND I can pop in a few extra healthy bits they don't even know about.


My new banana and berry smoothie is packed with flavour, and fills them until dinnertime which is exactly what I want. I also add a tablespoon of Chia seeds for extra fibre and a bit more of an omega 3 hit. They both refuse to have it sprinkled over their cereal in the morning, so this is the perfect way to get it into their system without all the fuss.

So, if you are looking for a great afternoon pick me up for yourself or your kids then look no further, this is a fabulous one to make. Alex even asked me to take a photo of his finished glass......note the finger marks!

Berry and banana after school smoothie
1 banana, peeled
1/2 cup frozen berries
1/4 cup natural yogurt
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1 tablespoon Chia seeds
3 cups milk

Place everything into blender and blits for 20 seconds.
Pour into glasses and enjoy!

2 comments:

Bryan said...

Sounds great, we get the post school fussys too. "I'm hungry... what do we have? I don't know what want." I will give this one a try, though I don't know what Chia seeds are, guess I will hit Wikipedia before getting back to work.

TKW said...

My kids arrive home from school completely ravenous. We're big on smoothies, too! Love the color of yours!