August 7, 2009

Sausage stir fry


Ever had one of those days when you just don't know what you want to eat? Your hungry but nothing sounds, looks or tastes what your after? I was wondering the streets yesterday trying to decided what to have for dinner and nothing came to me- this is when I headed straight to my butcher and stood among all the shoppers waiting and watching, hoping something would inspire me.
After watching kilo after kilo of pork belly, chuck steak and some frozen cut of meat I couldn't recognise go into shoppers canvas bags I finally decided I'd get those tasty Vietnamese sausages I so dearly love. I am always impressed at how they can have such a deep lemongrass flavour throughout the sausage yet no traces of the actual lemongrass?
I have cooked these thin pork sausages on the grill many times and have also found them very tasty when you take them out of their casing and stir fry them with all the vegetables you have in your crisper (it's the end of the week and time to do the forage of hidden green things). I didn't realize I had so many zucchinis so I made that my main veggie, also a great match with the sausage seeing as zucchini absorbs flavour really well.
I heated the wok on HIGH ripped up the sausages and through them in with a sliced onion and half a red pepper then sloshed in some fish sauce to create a bit of juice. The aroma was starting to get me excited at last. After the peppers has softened a little I threw in my chunky zucchini and corn along with about a tablespoon of oyster sauce and another 2 tablespoons of water before popping on the lid and steaming my concoction for about 4-5 minutes, tossing occasionally to prevent burning. The sausages held their shape very well and the fat from the sausages thickened my sauce perfectly.
Once the rice was ready I piled on the stir fry and we sat down to a delectable feast. The flavour was light and crisp, I think stir-frying these sausages was an excellent idea and the red peppers sweetened the dish to perfection. Who would of thought a few hours before I was going to suggest eggs on toast for dinner!

2 comments:

TKW said...

I've never seen Vietnamese sausages at the butcher. They sound delicious!

Jessie K said...

Sausage with notes of lemongrass? Sounds so good!!!