March 15, 2010

Two yummy dinners unblogged

I promised myself I would start week 4 of my family meals on time and on target. I got myself to the computer on Monday afternoon of week 4 and realised I haven't given my beef and coriander bake from Thursday night and the grilled fish with lemon and pea risotto from Friday, a mention at all!

With that said I am going to start week 4 tomorrow (surprise, surprise!). I am actually going to print my original beef and cilantro recipe (hoping) people who can easily acquire New Mexican chilies will make this dish because I remember it tasting, so  so delicious when it was made with all the original ingredients. Don't get me wrong, it was very yummy not to mention easy when I made it without the chilies, but I kept on wanting that delicious smoky flavour you get when you cook with the New Mexican chillies.

Friday nights Grilled fish and risotto wasn't exactly 100% 'sticking to the schedule'. Fish was on the menu but instead of risotto it was meant to be with polenta chips. The old story of 'I looked in the cupboards and they were bare....' was the case when I went in search of polenta (kinda forgot to buy it!). So being a quick thinker I swapped week fives -fish kebobs with pea and lemon risotto with week fours -grilled fish and polenta chips... no worries.
I didn't make the kebobs, I was in the mood for grilling so we'll do the kebabs with the polenta and really confuse ourselves.
End result was......
a) really yummy
b) really easy and great for a Friday night.
 We could pop open a bottle of wine,(stir the risotto) have a chat about the day (stir the risotto) and slowly bring the meal together while the boys played with lego and kept themselves amused.
 I love Fridays!
So there you have it, the week started with a detox and ended with two really yummy family meals that got everyone in the family excited. The boys even made the comment that 'dinners are yummier lately..' ..'but why don't we have mac and cheese anymore?' (that is what the weekends are for when mum and dad get to have date night!).



Beef and Salsa Bake with Cilantro
This meal is short on preparation time though needs the hours to cook. I advise you to make the main meal ahead of time on the weekend or during the day if time permits. Keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze until needed- then it really is a 20 minute meal when time matters. The chilies used have no heat, only flavor so they are perfect for your toddlers pallet.

FOLLOW THIS ORDER
 Soak chilies 
Make salsa
 Make beef
Boil potatoes 
Make salad

Salsa
2 New Mexico Chilies 
1 garlic clove
1/2tsp salt
1c fresh tomatoes, diced 
1Tbsp lime juice
1.Heat a small fry pan on HIGH heat for 1 minute. Add chilies and turn to color for about 2-3 minutes. Once skin is dark and ‘puffed’ remove. Place in a small container and pour boiling water over chilies- soak for at least 30 minutes. You will need to put a weight on the chilies to stop from floating.
2. Once soft, remove from water, discard seeds and stem then place all ingredients into a food processor and pulse for 40 seconds, until well combined.
3. Leave to one side until needed

Beef
1Tbsp olive oil 
1.5lb sirloin tip steak, 11/2” cubes
 1tsp salt and pinch pepper
 2Tbsp tomato paste
 3 shallots, sliced
 2 carrots, halved lengthways, sliced 1/4-inch pieces 
2 celery sticks, cut into 1/2 inch pieces 
1c green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces, top and tailed 
2c chicken stock
 1c salsa
 1/2c cilantro leaves
 1 avocado, peeled

1.Preheat oven to 450. In a 3QT lasagna dish place- oil, steak cubes, shallots, salt, pepper and tomato paste, mix to coat steak cubes. Place in the oven for 20 minutes uncovered to brown.
2.Remove from the oven and add remaining vegetables and stock. Mix to combine making sure the meat is just covered with liquid. Reduce oven temperature to 350, cover and bake for a further 50 minutes. 3.Remove from the oven. Add salsa, stir to combine, recover and place back in the oven for a further 30 minutes.
4. Just before serving add cilantro. Serve with sliced avocado on the side or mixed in with beef.

Potatoes
1lb new potatoes
1tsp salt
Place potatoes in a saucepan and fill to cover with COLD water. Add salt and put on to boil-uncovered. Once boiling let them coo for 5 minutes, remove from the heat, strain and serve.

Cucumber salad
 1 lg cucumber, peeled and seeded
 2Tbsp lime juice 
1/4tsp salt 
1Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Place all ingredients into a serving bowl, toss to combine well and serve with beef and potatoes

3 comments:

TKW said...

Camilla,

We can get those New Mexico Chiles quite easily here, so give me a holler if you want me to send you some! It's no trouble!

Bryan said...

The Beef, Salsa bake sounds great, I love using dried chilis. I will be giving that one a try. As always the Fish/Risotto sounds wonderful too. I love risotto. Sounds like a great meal for the first day back in the world of the chewing.

Camilla Baker said...

Thanks so much TKW I would love you to send me some but Australian customs is super strict and they would fine my pants off! I'll just have to see if there are any herb shops who can get them...so enjoy!