March 2, 2010

Week 2 of Family meals......Monday's chicken curry


Of course I had the best of intentions to blog yesterdays weekly menu folks but then I got a late order for scones, tarts and platters to be made for a very early morning delivery, so I was busy cooking up a storm in the kitchen instead of clicking on the keyboard. Today however I have a child free hour while dad takes them to football practice and I am making the most of it.

We started the week off with one of my all time favourite comfort foods- curry. My mum first introduced me to this delicious chicken curry many moons ago and I haven't looked back ever since. In fact when I gave this recipe to my tasters they all agreed that it was a fabulous recipe, great for young and old and doesn't make you spend all evening in the kitchen. When serving it for the four of us I remove the extra chilli from the dish but still leave in the curry power in it's full glory because it's rich flavour is tempered with cinnamon, coconut milk and tomatoes (fresh chillies get thrown on top of ours just before eating).
To really make this meal a family favourite I serve it up with bananas rolled in coconut (the sweetness always gets Alex back for more), crunchy pappadams that get devoured in seconds and some steaming rice.

Max can handle a bit of heat but Alex still has  4 year olds taste buds so all I need to do is give him his own little extra dish of natural yogurt and then he is as happy as a bee. I think introducing flavours from all over the globe to the weekly menu keeps meal times interesting for all, just as long as you don't have to spend hours on the preparation. Actually this weeks meals are very multicultural, I could of gone for over kill but I think the pizza on Friday will save me from any grief I'll get about tonights lentil and veggie burgers...I'll let you know how I go tomorrow!

4 comments:

Bryan said...

I love Curry, still a little afraid to try it with the kiddos. I like the banana rolled in coconut idea that would be a winner in my house.

TKW said...

I love a good curry--like you, I view it as comfort food! If only my kids thought so!

Camilla Baker said...

I think I need to send you this recipe, it is a great curry for kids to start on....the revised version of course!

Tarsh said...

I made this curry last night Mil! It is always a winner with my friends too, I even put in chilli which is big for me and I loved it!